THE LOMBARDY TRANSFUSION SYSTEM
The goal of the Lombardy Transfusion System is to pursue the blood self- sufficiency in terms of haemocomponents and haemoderivatives within the Region, to contribute to the national self-sufficiency and to international cooperation by monitoring the standards on self-sufficiency together with the safety and quality levels.
The new functional organization, for which the program was set by AREU and approved by the Regional government, is planning 9 centers where the working activities and the haemo-component biological qualification stemming from the spoke facilities part of the network will be concentrated.
These facilities ensure efficacy, effectiveness, development and innovation. These are peculiar features of the lombardy transfusion system
- The Welfare Regional Directorate (WRD) which has the goal of addressing the strategic plans as well as the economic sustainability of transfusion activities.
- The Regional Coordination Office (RCO) was instituted with the Regional Resolution 3825 (25 July 2012). The RCO is located within AREU Head Quarter according to the Regional Law 33 (30 Dec 2009) including the subsequent modifications and integration. This Office is the regional reference center for the National Blood Center, for the National Board of the Volunteer Associations, for the technical boards which have the task to master transfusion topics according to the WRD directions. The RCO/AREU prepares and submits its proposals regarding the regional transfusion system to the WRD for assessment and approval.
- The Transfusion and Hemathology Departments have the task to coordinate the transfusion activities belonging to their land through the scientific technical board constituted by the Heads of the 15 Transfusion Departments and by the RCO/AREU.
- The 37 Immuno-hematology and Transfusion Medicine Services which are located within their own Trusts and their spoke centers.
- Le Unità di raccolta associative e le loro articolazioni. The collecting Units together with their spoke centers.
- The 19 working and validation Centers.